SEVEN Career Coaching CEO Evelyn Cotter and Katrin Mantay, our expert coach, in a recent webinar outlined how to find that perfect match for your career goals. Here are some tips to help you navigate the ups and downs of a new normal.
- Stop trying to control things you cannot change. Ask yourself how I can go with the current flow and adapt to the environment, instead of going against the waves. This will reduce stress and anxiety and will help you find new ways of thinking about approaching a job search.
- Consider a career change, if you can. Don’t be scared to make a change. There is a famous lyric that reads, “Don’t feel guilty if you don’t know what you want to do with your life . . . some of the most interesting 40 year olds I know still don’t.” It is never too late to switch careers. Many industries are thriving now, particularly in the digital, delivery, logistics, groceries, remote working apps like Slack, Zoom, Peloton, Deliveroo and many more spheres. When applying for a job, also look for companies with a solid future and large balance sheet that will survive the pandemic. This ensures that you will still have a job two years down the line.
- Look at areas where you can add value. The gig-economy is alive and well, and it offers you a number of possible streams of income. Peopleperhour.com, Upwork.com, Flexjobs.com and Angel.co are also great starting points to offer your services remotely in time of lockdown.
“There is also going to be some sort of transferability for a lot of people, even if it is just for a few months and you are really stuck in your industry,” says Evelyn. The downside of working in a gig-economy is that you need to have impeccable time management or you will lose out.
- Rethink how you approach your job search. Now, more than ever, it is necessary to think about your approach towards your ideal job search. You need to relook at where you will look for a new job, what type of industries, companies and countries you look at and also how you look for a job. According to Katrin, old methods of looking at online job boards and going to recruiters are not effective, as only 20% of jobs are filled through these methods, while 80% of jobs are filled internally or through peoples’ networks. Work on strategically networking online, reach to people in organisations; the more senior the better, but try a few levels and ask for informational interviews.
- If you are needing a role immediately, look at interim solutions and make sure to use your spare time to work towards what you truly want, by online networking, taking work for experience, up-skilling online, working on your CV and LinkedIn resumé, creating content to share on LinkedIn or platforms relevant to your industry.
- Don't worry about having to explain gaps in your CV, this is a global pandemic. Everyone is affected everywhere. If you can, volunteer in ways that showcase what you want to do, to use as talking points in future interviews.
- Up-skill, whether that's taking courses to make you more attractive to employers, to start working online, or in health or wellness to develop your mind set, or learn how to set up online businesses, we have never seen such a time of free access to amazing resources - Instagram Live for fitness and wellness or Udemy.com, a fantastic online education platform among many.
“My advice to anyone who is looking for a job right now is to realise that the old way of doing things isn’t going to work now. We need to adapt our approach and our mindset and think in the way that things are moving remotely and online,” says Evelyn.
We believe that the ideal job for you is out there and that even in six months’ time, you could be working in this new ideal role on a career path or way that you are now only mulling over. Having an expert coach by your side will help you invest in your future. Gain clarity and create a strategic action plan with us by your side. We will support you along every step of the way and hold you accountable to ensure you follow through and make your dream career happen.
We are proud to be London's market leader in career coaching. Helping clients create satisfying careers since 2009, we work with a diverse range of ambitious professionals at all career stages. Whatever your coaching need, we have the expert Coach for you.